This last week a member of my ward, and a fellow Sea Island employee was killed in a head-on collision. She was 25, single, friendly, and had an amazing smile. I did not know her well, but it was close enough to cause me to reflect on a lot of things this week. Mainly how fragile life is.
I've thought a lot about the focuses in my life. I heard about a quote this week that goes something like this: "The most important things in your life aren't things at all - they're people."
After attending Laura's funeral and hearing a lot of her family and friends share their feelings about her life, I feel that Laura was a great example of this. She was close to a lot of people (the church was packed - double overflow and all ... and still standing), and it was obvious that relationships were the focus of her life. I hope that I can live my life like this.
I've started thinking what I'd like people to know about me that they may not yet. I think it's this: There is more good in the world than bad, more beauty than profanity, more love than hatred, more hope than despair. I hope that I can live in a way to show how much I believe that, and never go a day without saying the words "I love you" to someone and mean it. And, I also would like to have a fun time every day, because I like to have fun.
So, I know this is kind of a somber post for me, but it's been kind of a somber thing I've been thinking about. But please don't get too down ... my next post is going to be about Guitar Hero III, so ... I'm really still all about having fun. Just if you were wondering what deep thoughts I think sometimes - that's what I thought this week.
Thanks for reading - I love you!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
That's so sad, but I know what you mean about reflecting on life when these types of things happen. I think it's an important reminder of what all of this is about anyway, right?
I love you too! I think some sentence from this quote will be quote of the day tomorrow in my classroom.
"There is more good in the world than bad, more beauty than profanity, more love than hatred, more hope than despair." ~Mrs. I's sister-in-law Amelia.
How's that sound? :)
Thank you for that, Amelia. She was a beautiful person. I hope that we can remember these things, always.
Love you to Amelia! I bought my tix last night to come out in May - yahoo!!!
There is something so special about what happens to people when someone passes. There is the tragic, heart wrenching part, but there is also this hushed hopeful peace that causes us to reflect and just sit quietly for a minute and let life distill until all that remains is that which is most important. I think it is the final gift that that person gives us - a chance to stop and think. It certainly has had me thinking about where my priorities are. Oh and by the way, the things that you want others to know about you, you truly exemplify. So good on ya! Takes some people a lifetime to get to that point. Rock on! (see, I'm already excited about your guitar hero III post!!!!)
Do you all know my friend Celeste? She's pretty incredible, as evidenced by this post. I think it's pretty obvious why I loved working with her everyday, and why now there's a slight void ... Thanks for your post, buddy. You're the best!
Amelia...i love you! I've been thinking of calling you since last week and i finally did a couple days ago but i had no idea why i've been needing to talk, i thought i was just in need of a good sis to sis talk. Well, now i know and my heart really does echo your whole post. I hear ya. I always think of how precious life is. It's something parenthood has emphasized in my already paranoid brain. Wow. Celeste's post was right on. She seems great! Know my prayers are with you and also Laura's family. You know Laura is just fine. I love you! Anonymously, Kristen
Post a Comment