07 June 2008

Strike Out!

"Hey, let's go bowling!" I know it sounds like an innocent suggestion but this never fails to evoke a silent groan in my head every time. In a small town, there normally aren't many things to do ... but there always seems to be at least one bowling alley, so I've come to terms with the fact that I will bowl. I don't like being the wet blanket. And Joel really likes bowling and is pretty good, so we go sometimes. Here's proof:

But I'm horrible at bowling. I mean, really, really, really horrible.

Case in point: A few weeks ago my department at work decides to do an off-site team-building exercise at - you guessed it - the bowling alley. While at least two of my co-workers have bowled in a league, most were average bowlers - some hadn't bowled for more than a decade. So, I didn't feel like I'd be in bad company. I was wrong.

Halfway through our first game I hit a rut. Or should I say gutter. Because that's all I hit for 6 frames in a row. Nothing but gutter. I don't know how many of you know this about me, but I can get fairly competitive with myself, and I don't like doing anything in front of people that I'm not good at. This is a big reason why I was never on any sports teams - little inclination and lots of exposure. So, imagine my dismay when on my third gutter frame I look at the scoreboards and realize who is in last place out of 20 people. You guessed it. Then I started trying really hard. I took pointers from every last person in my department. I tried laughing, shrugging, cheering, and finally screaming at the ball. Then, people could tell I was really getting bothered, and that's when the awkwardness starts. How do you say something positive to someone how hasn't put a single pin down in over 5 frames?

My final score was 29. Yup, 29! We played another game where I achieved a personal best of 84, but I was really ready to pack it in after the first game. Team-building, my foot!

As a show of mercy/pity/compassion my department opted to change the Highest Score prize to the Most Improved prize, and I won a garden bowling set. It was a really nice gesture.

I know in the big scheme of things my bowling game isn't going to have much consequence on anything important at all. So, know in the future, that if we're hanging out, and someone suggests going bowling that a) it won't be me, and b) I'll probably get the lowest score. As long as someone buys me an ice cream cone afterwards or lets me play Dance Dance Revolution at the arcade when we're finished, I can do it. Joel has learned that bribery still works for getting me to do things I don't want to do. That, and timing me ... but that's a different post altogether.

14 comments:

Leah said...

Amelia that totally cracks me up. 29 that's awesome! If it's any consolation I bowled with my kids once and they all beat me.

Joel said...

Let it be noted that bowling yesterday was, in fact, your suggestion.

Zimm said...

I think this is my favorite blog post on the whole internet.

mom/diane said...

I love your haircut! I posted a bowling quip on the previous post.

Matt said...

There are so many fun ways to go with the bribing or timing thing in your relationship that my head may explode. My question is, does Joel use that to have you do things like get his shoes? "Hey, will you run upstairs and grab my shoes? I'll time ya. . ."

Love ya!

Amelia said...

No, but he does time me to do the dishes. J: "How fast do you think you can do it?" Me: "15 Minutes." J: "I bet you can do it in 10." Me: "No way!" J: "You'd better get started! You only have 9 minutes and 55 seconds!" And I scramble off to the kitchen.

Matt said...

That's awesome.

Beth said...

Everything about this post is awesome. One day you'll break 100!

Heidi said...

i loved this post! i remember going to bowling for gym in high school and i did SO BAD to start that my handicap for the upcoming tournament was about the highest it could possibly be... to the point that i did moderately okay during the tournament (probably a 75 or so) and got 5th place in the class. THAT'S HOW HIGH MY HANDICAP WAS!

Karen said...

Like everybody else has already said, this is a great post! You're hilarious and I miss you!

Mindy said...

I love the post! I am reading first thing this morning and it is a great way to start the day! Congrats on being most improved. You should try Wii bowling, I am also really bad at real bowling, but for some reason I can get strike after strike if I am playing Wii.

Unknown said...

Timing you...oh yeah! Do the dishes in less than 10 minutes. That worked on me all growing up. I can still hear my mom say "2 minute drill! Pick up everything you can in 2 minutes!" And I said "OK!"

Matt said...

I used the timer on the kids last night at the park to wear them out. "See how fast you can go down all seven slides, then climb the rock wall." They were all sweaty and exhausted by the time we got home. Perfect for bedtime.

Greg and Lara said...

Wow...I could have written this post about myself. I hate bowling, but only because I'm terrible at it and I hate being terrible at anything, especially in front of large groups of people! I have endless amounts of empathy for your bowling experience. :) So when are you taking a summer vacation to Atlanta?