13 June 2008

Kuchiguse (koo-chee-GOO-say)

This is a Japanese word that translates loosely to mean, "stuff you say a lot." At work we're trying to train our staff to use more professional language in front of guests (no slang, filler words, or phrase fragments) and every time we train, I have a hard time even opening my mouth. Do you realize how many phrase fragments I use a day? Like a million! And just reading over my last post, I realized that "you guessed it" should also be added to my list of kuchiguses. I say "um," and "you know," and "right" CONSTANTLY!

So, I'm making a list. This is stuff I say all the time:
  • Hey / Hi
  • Yeah
  • Mm-hmm
  • Bu-bye
  • stuff
  • like
  • cool/totally/awesome/dude
  • dang / dang it
  • oh man
  • uh-huh
  • sure
  • you bet
  • gotta
  • goin' / doin'
  • you guys
  • prawly (instead of probably)
One thing that this exercise has taught me is that some slang I use is regional (you guys, sure, you bet is Midwestern, like/awesome/dude is West Coast (I blame Emily and Ang), and dang is west - Utah! - at least I don't say "oh my heck.") But regardless, especially since most of my job is public speaking in a training capacity, I'm going to have to trim some of it from my vocabulary. If I talk to you in real life, please help me stop the insanity, and point it out when I say things that are slang. I promise not to get mad. For real! (I guess I should add that to the list too ... :()

What are some of your kuchiguses? Am I alone in this?

3 comments:

Celeste said...

You forgot one: "What the crap!" that's my fav goo-chee-goose-egg, or whatever it's called, of yours :) And really, I think slang has it's time and place. Besides being an awesome reminder of all the places you're from, some emotions and experiences can only be summed up in certain terms. For ex., as I type this, a giant spider has meandered onto the wall next to me. I can think of only one explicative to describe this situation, and it's not "My what a large arachnid," it's most definitely: "Arrrgghrr!" which I'm pretty sure is not even a word. So there. Eat that, Mobil. I guess the difference is that I'm not serving you a $800.00 steak or turning down your $5,000.00 bed.

Amelia said...

I did totally forget "what the crap!" That is one of my persona favorites too! :) I guess no one else is into this post. Is this the part where I realize I've been working too hard lately?

Unknown said...

OK Amelia...it's time for a new post! Get on it, sister. I'm waiting here... ;)